It is officially SUMMER! The summer is a great time of the year; we have the pool, cookouts, vacations, outdoor workouts, and so much more! But with the summer also comes the heat and the need to take precautions with our furry friends. Below are some tips to help keep dogs safe during the summertime:
- NEVER leave your dog in the car, not even for a second. Temperatures and humidity can be extremely high in the summer; leaving your dog in the car, even with the windows cracked, can cause them to become dehydrated.
- Make sure your dog has unlimited access to fresh water. Even when you are out at the park, or on an errand, have a bottle of water and a bowl on hand.
- Make sure your dog has the opportunity to sit in the shade when outside.
- Take walks during the cooler times of the day to avoid the hottest times; for example, the best times would be mornings or later evenings.
- When walking, try to stay off of hot surfaces because it can burn your dog’s paws. Imagine walking barefoot on hot asphalt!
- Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats. Dogs with darker coats absorb heat more than dogs with lighter coats.
- Watch for signs of dehydration. Dogs cannot sweat; they cool off by panting. An overheated dog can show several different signs, but not all dehydrated dogs show noticeable signs. But you can look for excessive drooling, hard panting, red eyes, and extreme lethargy. If your dog has a thin coat, consult your veterinarian whether your dog would benefit from sunscreen.
- Protect your dog from parasites. Consult with your veterinarian about what protection to use for your dog.
- Take your dog for a swim, but keep a close eye on them. Don’t assume your dog can swim even if it is their natural instinct. Even a strong swimmer may have trouble getting out of the pool, may get stuck on the ropes, or become exhausted.
Let’s do what we can to keep our dogs safe this summer. Imagine if you had to wear a full-length fur coat all summer long. It may not be the most comfortable, but these tips can help make summer with your dogs a more enjoyable experience! Let the summer fun begin!
On March 12th Kenchii Professional named our first Kenchii Kup champion! A gorgeous English Springer Spaniel named Mouse was exquisitely groomed by our first ever champion, Amanda Zeller of Groom Team USA. Amanda was awarded $5,000, a one of a kind Kenchii Grooming Shear, a first place trophy, and her name engraved on the perpetual Kenchii Kup trophy at Kenchii [...]
Allergies: Can my dog be allergic to me?In many areas of the country spring has sprung! Flowers are beginning to bloom, days are getting longer, and pollen is out in full force! As a result, millions of Americans are beginning to feel the wrath of seasonal allergies manifesting as itchy eyes, sneezing, runny noses, or itchy throats. This shared [...]
Valentine’s Day has come and gone, but we’ll be enjoying the sweet treats for at least another week. For most people chocolate is the ultimate indulgence, but we know it can be dangerous for our true loves, our pets. Consistent diets that meet the specific needs of our pets are number one in maintaining their health, but sometimes Fido [...]
Preproduction shots of new brushes for 2016. All brushes are wood with firm non-slip grip.Medium boar's hair brush with central spine.Small boar's hair bristle.Medium metal pin brush.Small pin brush.Medium wood pin paddle brush.Small wood pin brush.
Winter is in full swing and according to Punxsutawney Phil, we’ve got 6 more weeks of it! When cooler weather comes we know to change our routines. As humans we change our hair and skin care, our exercise, and definitely our wardrobe, but how much thought have you given to changing your pet’s routine? Providing our pets with the [...]
When it comes to our shears we don't always give them the love they deserve. This shear care guide makes it simple to care for your tools with easy to understand tips and information from the shear experts at Kenchii. With four easy steps you can extend the life of your shears starting right now! Print [...]
Kenchii Gift Certificates are the simplest way to gift your groomer since you don't need to know exactly what they want. Gift Certificates are emailed to the recipient upon purchase completion. Gift Certificates act as store credit which does not expire. Your groomer will not need to use the entire amount in one purchase.Registered users can [...]
German-style Beveled Shears and Japanese-style Convex Shears German-style shears have non-honed, beveled blades which are serrated to grip hair. "German-style" and "beveled" are interchangeable terms. Beveled shears produce a crisp cut, are durable and exceptional for dry and taper cutting, pretty good for wet and point cutting, and poor for slide cutting.Japanese-style shears are honed, convex [...]